SC - advice/help: shish kebabs period?

Fri May 8 14:03:14 PDT 1998

     I have to politely agree with Clarissa - please, please post a list of
     ingredients outside your kitchens. There are those of us who are
     genuinely allergic to certain things and sometimes we don't know we're
     going to an event until the day before, so we can't always call the
     feastocrat ahead of time.

     I recently went to an out-of-area event and went into the kitchen to
     help out. The feastocrats were great people (and I learned a lot from
     them!). Their computer had exploded or something, so they didn't have
     their recipes or ingredients with them. I can't metabolize *any*
     alcohol, so I simply asked them which dishes contained alcohol, which
     the cooks promptly and politely told me. I had fun for the rest of the
     day chopping veggies and washing dishes, and I sat down to a delicious
     feast.

     Unfortunately, I blithely chomped into the salad and got a mouthful of
     pickled onions. The salad was *not* one of the two dishes which they
     told me contained alcohol, so I had thought everything else was safe.
     I think that the cooks couldn't find boiling onions when they went
     shopping the day before the feast, so they substituted bottled martini
     onions... which are floating in vermouth.

     So, I had severe stomach cramps that evening as my body attempted to
     metabolize what to me is a poison. Not fun.

     The cooks were extremely competent, talented people, who I understand
     have cooked professionally mundanely as well as SCAdianly for many
     years. It was, in my opinoin, an unfortunate but understandable
     oversight whilst in the throes of the last hectic 24 hours of
     pre-feast preparation. They had made a great effort to balance the
     menu so that carnivores, vegetarians, and lactose-intolerant people
     could all go home stuffed. They *had* made accomodations for allergic
     folks.

     I truly enjoyed working in this couple's kitchen, and hey, I only
     swallowed enough to feel like hell, not to pass out for 18 hours like
     I normally do when alcohol finds its way into my food. It was just
     unpleasant to cap off a great day of learning and fun with physical
     pain.

     If any of you cooks have a secret recipe, would you at least post what
     commonly potential allergens it contains? (ie. "contains dairy
     products") I respect your desire to protect your creation and not give
     out your recipe/ingredients. I just politely ask that you make
     reasonable accomodations for responsible allergic people.

     Katja