SC - Suspicious Allergies

Kallyr Kallyr at aol.com
Fri May 8 22:36:42 PDT 1998

<< I found referance to Broccoli and Apecius in the Pantopheon (Sayer, quite
 old (1800s), reprinted in the 70s). I thought the fellow made a mistake!
 Now I will have to take a closer look.

 Aoife >>
One thing we have to beware of is that people tend to apply familiar words to
new objects that they don't have words for.  This is why capsicum (new world)
peppers are called "peppers", due to their hot spicy quality. for example.

When we look back, it's easy to think a given word means what it means to us
today.  But there is slippage in meaning for almost all words over time.  This
phenomenon has shown up on the list recently in this discussion on broccoli
and the one on currants, I also ran across it in a discussion of cheese and
"cheddar".

I think it would be neat to keep a glossary of terms, kind of a food-related
record of useage for as many foods as we can collect.  It would have entries
recording citations with a quote in context including any descriptive terms
and the source & date.  Does anybody else feel this would be a worthwhile
project?

~~Minna Gantz  <KALLYR at aol.com>
"Don't believe everything you think."