SC - Roman world - Apricots or Peaches

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Sun May 10 05:24:04 PDT 1998

Melisant,

>  Is this because Americans have more allergies than South Africans?

I don't know of any studies about this, but a large percentage of put
population seems to have allergies of soem sort. My personal opinion is that
most of them are a combination of stress and over examination by Doctors. Add
to this the ammount of food we eat out of season from all over the world (and
I'll bet you'll find that more and more of your population has these problems
over the years) and other strange enviromental factors, and I think we're
asking for it. At one time we were able to adapt, but fact is, we're hit by
allergy pathogens at such a rate now, we can't adjust. Just an opinion taken
from years of reading on the subject.

Also, what are the relitive ages of people in your Shire? The individuals I
know of on the list talking about allergies are about my age (40) or a little
older::Ducking::, and I didn't develope my allergy until my late 20's. We
think it's mostly an iodine thing, my system getting more than enough of the
stuff from the local produce (A lot of South Carolina used to be sea bottom,
and the local produce is full of iodine and other minerals)..

>  Do SCA types have more allergies than the general population??

In the good ole U.S. of A this is probably the case.. it's often a joke that
people in the SCA couldn't have lived in the real Middle Ages. As you see from
the previous paragraph, I believe they would not only live as a rule, but
thrive. Their diet would perforce be part of the seasonal progress, and be
limited enough not to require constant attention.

Just some ideas

Corwyn