SC - Re: sca-flavor substitutes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 10 07:54:55 PDT 1998

>>I have one last question, just out of curiosity: what's the percentage
>>of people who will personally comment on the allergies they actually
>>have, as opposed to those of friends, or friends of friends?

I have a milk allergy. It makes my asthma worse, but I tend to ignore it in
everyday life. I also ignore it when reenacting. I do, however, take my
Ventolin along with me in my pouch (OK, I know it's made of plastic, but so
are my glasses, without which I get nasty headaches, so I'm not giving them
up either).

My husband has a whole heap of allergies/intolerances (mainly from eating a
cigueterra affected (sp?)(spanish mackeral poisoning) tropical fish at the
age of 3)

Lactose Intolerant - can eat small amounts of cooked milk, even smaller
amounts of cooked cream, and all cheese and yoghurt.
Legume - nasty bowel problems.
Seafood - only large, he's allergic to some type of plankton that builds up
in fish - the larger the fish, the nastier the allergy (see above).
Eggs - can eat eggs cooked into a cake, but not a cake with heaps of them.
MSG - the biggie - strips all the lining off his gastro-intestinal system
and causes internal bleeding. Has been hospitalised with this one, and
sick-as-a-dog more times than I care to remember. He has a small tolerance
level to this (thank goodness).

We don't always tell the cook where we're going about these, because they
can be worked around (got caught once with some dope using an MSG-filled
herb coating on chicken because "It tastes better"). If nothing else, he
bogs into the breads, cheeses, fruits and meats.

Another friend (also a reenactor) of ours has a ZERO (literally) tolerance
to MSG, HVP (hydrolised vegetable protein) and a smattering of
preservatives. He finds it very hard to find a decent take-away or
restaurant. He's just learned that an anti-inflamatory (Ibuprophen) can
lessen his
inflamation problems if he acidentally eats something with a little MSG in
it, but otherwise, he's crippled for days. He informs people where he's
going, and usually has no problems at events, because the food is generally
cooked from fresh ingredients.

Gee, isn't it great to have to live (and cook) with food allergies!

Glenda.

Glenda Robinson
Flamberge Computer Services
glendar at compassnet.com.au