Wort Chiller (was Re: SC - peach mead?)

Nick Sasso grizly_nick at rocketmail.com
Sun May 10 07:56:40 PDT 1998

Anti-browning agents are acids to prevent oxidation......vinegar has
worked for me as a substitute, but be sure to rinse if not wanting the
flavor hints.

Liquimen:  have used Tai fish sauce, fish flavored sauce, oyster
sauce....all with reasonable success, though not exactly the 'right'
flavor, I suspect

niccolo

- ---LYN M PARKINSON <allilyn at juno.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> We've recently had several wonderful sets of recipes.  In one, salt
was
> substituted for murri, in another salt was substituted for liquimen,
> although Worchestershire sauce was also used.  As I recall His Grace's
> directions for murri, it's a lot more complicated than salt, and I
think
> liquimen is, too.
>
>  What do other people use as substitutes for these or other
specialties
> that were available in medieval and rennaissance markets but not in
ours?
>  I can't use Worchestershire sauce, because a friend is allergic to
fish,
> and I'm allergic to pepper.  I've used soy sauce on occasion.
>
> Another friend, not too far away, is highly allergic to lemon or any
type
> of citrus--no phony allergy, either, I've listened to her trying to
> breathe until the medication works.  What can you use to keep fruit
from
> turning brown when you can't use lemon?
>
> Substitutions was one of the suggestions for a class for Ruath to
teach.
> Why wait for a University?  :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Lady Allison
> allilyn at juno.com
> Master Chirurgeon, Orden des Linquistringes, Princess' Order of
Courtesy

SCA-Cooks".