SC - Re: sca-flavor substitutes

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Mon May 11 07:57:29 PDT 1998

A nifty gizmo very useful to home brewers! It is a commonly stocked item in
brewers supply stores made of a coil of copper tubing with an end that one
attaches a hose to  hook up to a cold water tap, and an end one attaches a
hose to  stick down a drain and you stick it in the boiling kettle after
taking it off the heat and running the coldest water you can find through it
while immersed in the wort to cool it off so it can be immediately worked
with without having to wait for the several hours for it to cool down
enough. Alternately you run the wort through the tube with the coil being in
a bucket of ice. Many people I know swear by both methods, but I have found
i would rather deal with sterilizing the outsides of the tubes than dealing
with cleaning and sterilizing the insides of the tubes. To each their own.
You can make your own with food grade tygon tubing from Home Depot if you
like.

margali