SC - Allergy Discussion Conclusions to date

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon May 11 09:53:23 PDT 1998

At 10:40 PM +1000 5/11/98, Kiriel & Chris wrote:

>Corwyn,  I will do my best not to be offended, but in reply, I will say,
>that I would rather NOT eat food prepared by a cook that would rather
>the food was period than edible!

That assumes that one is faced with that alternative--i.e. that period food
accurately prepared is inedible. That is not consistent with my experience.

>To not be willing to adjust a dish
>because it is not written in the period source has the potential to
>perpetuate the myth that period food is icky.

Only if the myth is true, in which case it is not a myth.

To be willing to modify the recipe in ways inconsistent with the original
whenever you don't like how it tastes has the potential to keep you from
ever finding out what period food is actually like--since you are changing
the recipe to fit your modern tastes and techniques, instead of exploring
alternative interpretations consistent with the original. It also has the
potential of spreading misinformation among the people eating your feast,
who may take it for granted that you are serving them period food when in
fact you are not.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/