SC - Info request -was Cookery in Caid

Tamara Crehan tcrehan at mssupport.microsoft.com
Mon May 11 11:13:38 PDT 1998

I wrote and Rowan replied:

>>>Here in Caid there is not much interest in authentically
medieval/renaissance food -- something that a few of us are trying to
change.<<<

>>Wow, that would be so strange! Many years ago we had a real mix (mostly when
we were going through the "period food is wierd and yukky" stage caused by Fab
Feasts et al and bad cooks). Now, if you go to a feast, you expect well
researched, well cooked period food. Depending on the group, there may be some
dishes which are "medievalish", but modern food would raise frowns, giggles or
even loud scorn.<<

SigridPW wrote to correct me -- there is, apparantly, much period cooking
going on in Caid's Barony of Calafia (San Diego, CA) which occassionally
spills over into the Kingdom at large. (Not yet, unfortunately, at any feast I
was able to go to.)

Among feasts I have attended (please note the qualifier) the trend seems more
towards food that tastes good and dishes that are not garishly modern. If the
recipes are authenically pre-1600 and researched, that research has not been
shared with me, at least -- which does not mean it has not been done.

And I must admit I have not attended as many feasts as I would have liked. I
am in a household of notorious picky-eaters, whose palates I am trying to
educate. Does anyone out there have any good recipes for tourney food which
can be made in advance, tastes good cold and is not bread-and-cheese?

Thanks!

Renata