SC - deviled eggs info source

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon May 11 20:03:24 PDT 1998

In a message dated 5/11/98 7:44:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
heilveil at students.uiuc.edu writes:

<< Well, it was a luncheon not a feast, but it
 was Blancmanger (I like it room temperature.  sorry.), >>

Given the distances from the actual cooking facilities during the Middle Ages
and the feast hall, I would suspect that most foods were served room
temperature or at the very best slightly warmed.  It may be a quirk of mine
but I find that most foods are more edible and more flavorful when served at
body temperature or less.  Cold dulls the taste buds as well as hot.  Which is
the reason, I suspect, that a culture who likes BK and Mac D's (read the best
of cardboard flavors) likes hot or cold food.

It is truly a shame on all of us moderns that most of the food is tasteless
(or extremely piquant which has the same dulling affects) in the form it is
available today.  A perfect example is the Golden Delicious Apple which is the
best selling apple available.  It has been bread specifically to be neutral in
flavor.  I tasted one once.  My reaction was insipid and tasteless!  The
reason it is the best selling is because neutral flavor seems to be in.
Disgusdting to the max but the truth. <sigh>

Ras