SC - Period Greek food

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Tue May 12 02:12:06 PDT 1998

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> >  While I agree with your overall statement, I just have to ask, are you
> > boiling your rice and then draining it?  Every pot of rice I have ever
> > cooked took 2 - 2 1/2 times the amount of water to rice, except methods
> > where the rice is cooked in the water, then strained.
> >
> > Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies
> >
> I have a problem with some of the rice coming out uncooked, so I use more
> water to get a longer boil.  I boil the rice for about ten minutes, drop it
> to a simmer for ten minutes, then turn off the heat and let the rice absorb
> the remaining liquid.  This is true of long grain rice from a number of
> sources.  Mahatma is the worst, requiring about four cups.  The bulk rice
> from the health food store requires about three cups.
>
> It may be that bulk rice is a slow moving product in Oklahoma and the shelf
> life is such that it gets very dried out before use.  "Minute" rices work
> according to directions.
>
> Bear

I use almost equal amounts of rice and liquid, a little more if cooking
on electric, so 1 cup rice, 1 cup and a splash of water.  Put in pot,
raise to a boil. As soon as it has reached the boil, I put it on another
hot plate which is at the lowest notch or halfway between the lowest and
the next.  Whack the lid on and ignore for 15 minutes.  Remove from the
heat and sit for another 5-10 minutes; perfect rice every time for me!

Kiriel