SC - Allergy Discussion

Jessica Tiffin melesine at ilink.nis.za
Tue May 12 03:42:30 PDT 1998

	Dear Claricia

	Not that I'm an expert on allergies, but surely the one thing it is
unlikely to be is alcohol.  Alcohol is volatile at quite low temperatures,
so the alcohol evaporates from any stew at cooking temperatures - you might
be allergic to some of the compounds in the wine which would be left in the
stew or possibly chemicals in the wine eg sulphor dioxide, but surely not
alcohol itself.  One reason to mention this is that my husband has an
allergy (cold symptoms) to some wine and beers but not others, esp
organically produced drinks, so I suspect the chemicals.  He is also
allergic to aspirin (asthma attack) so I don't take allergies lightly.

> In my case we are not sure what the actual ingredient (compound?) is
> that I am allergic to.  I spoke to my doctor about it, and while she
> was quite concerned about the reaction (3 days of violent migranes
> and vomiting from a small amount of beef stew cooked with wine), she
> didn't think we needed to do any further testing.
>
> Claricia Nyetgale
> allergy sufferer, cook, and adventurous eater

	Caroline

	BTW - plan a feast in November - I have an event practically every
weekend between now and September (including two week-long events, one in
France) for which I will be cooking - no wonder you have time for all these
preparations!