SC - Siege Cookery Contest

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed May 13 08:50:34 PDT 1998

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Erin Kenny wrote:

> Like I said before, I don't expect people to cook around me, but I
> can't eat even the basic things if we can't be a little bit careful
> about things like cross contamination.
>
> Claricia

I must whole heartly agree that cross contamination is a problem, but
Ihave found that a relationship with the servers to be helpful.  By
talking openly to the servers about the upcoming courses they can then
speak with those they are serving and at that time request a isolated
serving of the food.  The most comon request I have seen is for a
vegitarian to request a seperate bowl of the rice (or whatever) dish
that on the main tray might be exposed to meat products.  In addition to
posting a list f ingrediants at gate, i prefer to have one for the
servers, plus give a verbal rundown/warning of foods as they are going
out.  An unfortunate mishap at a recent feast had us having the servers
warn each table that the garlic sauce was not safe for those allergic to
mushrooms (this was due to a dish of diced mushrooms being bumped and
faling on several of the serving dishes).  In light of the fact that most
of my kitchen crew were new to the SCA kitchen we also met several times
in advance to discuss cross contamination and how to avoid it.  I have
found that most people - when they understand the why-  are very good
about being careful, it does not seem though that a large portion of the
public are aware.

Sabia (sabia at unm.edu)