SC - Organ Meats left out?- Heresy in the Cathedral!

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu May 14 02:43:58 PDT 1998

The mushroom Ketchup recipie...

This recipie is from "The Barricaded Larder" by Elizabeth Luard (1988). This
is another one of those very useful cross refernce books and can be a great
help in starting a redaction on an unfamiliar dish.

As Cariadoc rightly pointed out, this is not a period ingredient or recipie.
I have never seen it referred to in any of my period sources, and have
obviously never used it in SCA cooking. It is useful mundanely to add depth
and complexity to stews (especially beef ones) and to add extra strenth to
the flavour of inferior/very young mushrooms if they need help.

Mushroom Ketchup
To make 2 pints/1.2 litres

4 lb/2kg black mushrooms [use the big open ones for more flavour]
4oz/100g salt
1 tsp peppercorns
1 small piece mace
1 tsp nutmeg
1 pint/600 ml vinegar [I use a white wine vinegar]
1 small glass brandy [200 mls]

Wipe the mushrooms and leyer them in a bowl, scattering salt between each
layer. Weight with a clean plate and leave overnight to maker juice.
The next day, crush the spices and bring them to the boil with the vinegar.
Pour over the mushrooms. Tranmsfer the mixture to a large saucepan. Bring to
the boil and cook for 15 minutes.
Stir in the brandy. Either strain off the liquid and pour it, still hot,
into the sterilised bottles, and seal tightly. Or tip the whole mixture into
the food processor and liquidise it into a thick dark sauce. Bring back to
the boil and bottle it.
Store the ketchip in a cool dark place, and transfer it to the fridge once
opened.

You can also buy it ready made here, which is more expensive but less trouble...
Rowan
Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia