SC - Mulled wine (was Alcohol intolerance)

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Thu May 14 17:22:42 PDT 1998

At 01:36 PM 14/05/98 +0100, Caroline wrote:
>Sorry, I meant 'how were they served in period - ie under period
>conditions', not how to serve large quantities today!

Ah, sorry I misunderstood you my lady. I guess there might be several answers...

(1) With a large number of kitchen staff you could have several people
making frittours at once and serving them forth as they were made. Certainly
the  woodcuts/pictures of large kitchens seem to be well stocked with staff.
(2) Although I agree they are best hot, they are still good warm and they
can be kept warm while other batches are being cooked
(3) How many people were being fed anyway? Frittours for 50 is not too bad
with 2 people, it's hot frittours for 300 that's the problem.
(4) Why should our "hold and reheat" ideas be modern and not used earlier,
even if they used different re-heating options? (although deep frying was
used then as now even if microwaves were not :)

On the last, has anyone come across such instructions in period recipes?

Rowan

Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia