SC - Room temp food-OOP

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Fri May 15 01:46:27 PDT 1998

Rowan asks:

>(4) Why should our "hold and reheat" ideas be modern and not used earlier,
>even if they used different re-heating options? (although deep frying was
>used then as now even if microwaves were not :)
>
>On the last, has anyone come across such instructions in period recipes?

I've just looked through our worked-up fritter recipes.  Almost all of the
ones with any serving instructions say "serve it forth hot."  In the one
exception, you take the fritters after frying, pour over a honey-wine
mixture, and bake; I assume this is to let the honey soak in while keeping
it hot.

Frytour Blaunched
Curye on Inglysch p. 132 (Form of Cury no. 153)

Take almaundes blaunched, and grynde hem al to doust withouten eny lycour.
Do therto poudour of gyngeuer, sugur, and salt; do thise in a thynne foile.
Close it therinne fast, and frye it in oile; clarifie hony with wyne, &
bake it therwith. [end of original; thorns replaced with th]

1/2 lb blanched almonds
1/2 t ginger
1 T sugar
scant 1/4 t salt
pastry: 2 c flour, water
oil
2/3 c honey
1/4 c Rhine wine
Grind almonds thoroughly: 1/2 lb = 1 1/2 c whole = 2 c ground. Stir
together with ginger, sugar and salt. Mix flour with enough water to make a
slightly sticky dough. Roll out dough very thin and cut into 2" squares.
Place a heaped teaspoon of ground almond mix on each dough square. Fold
corners to center and seal. Fry in 1/2"-1" of oil in a frying pan until
brown, drain on paper towels, then place in baking pan. Heat honey and wine
together; pour over fritters and bake at 350° for 10 minutes.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook