FW: SC - Wanted: recipes for Jacob's cattle beans

Tamara Crehan tcrehan at mssupport.microsoft.com
Thu May 21 10:24:23 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
I am asked by Aislinn:
>    Anne-Marie, would you be willing to share your recipes for the
>    pickled things you mention?  I've been fascinated by pickling
>    lately, experimenting with "the Lord's Salt" and other recipes....
>    looking towards Pennsic and what I can take without
>    refrigeration....

the late sources (Dibgy, May, etc) pickle anything that doesnt move (and
likely a few things that do). We have recipes for pickled mushrooms and
capers and cukes (Apicius even does cukes in vinegar, several different
ways). the other stuff is a peri-oide way to get color and crunch and
flavor to the buffet table.

Pickled asparagus we buy in large jars (cheap!!) at Costco, the pickled
mushrooms are from the deli, or you can make your own (I use the recipe in
Fanny Farmer). Pickled eggs are made by taking the juice from pickled
beets, pickled onions and pickled cukes and pouring it over harboiled eggs.
The pickled carrots are my own (a relic from my blue ribbon 4H days).
Basically, I use the brine recipe for bread and butter pickles, plus a few
medallions of fresh ginger. Parboil carrot sticks till just tender, then
pack into boiling hot jars. top with boiling hot brine, and seal. We ate a
one year old jar this last weekend and they were still crunchy and tasty.

By the way, meat preserved with the Lords Salt is awfully tasty, especially
with a strong mustard. Ours never lasted long enough to test the
preservative powers, but I understand Cariadoc has done this bit of kitchen
science.

hope this helps...
- --AM