SC - whats an inn? was wanted: a marinade for spit roasting an autocrat

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Wed May 27 05:03:26 PDT 1998

Apart from the other ones mentioned

C Anne Wilson's Food and Drink in Britain.  It only covers England but its
the best book on food history (not recipes) I've come across.  Its out of
print, but well worth searching for.  The Tannahill is a good starting
point, but this has much more info in it.

The Art of Medieval Cooking or Early French Cooking, both by Terence Scully,
has a wonderful analysis of the humours theory (although I understand
Constance Hiett does not entirely agree with him!).  The other one is better
for recipes.

BTW we discussed a while ago a book which covered when new foods came into
use in Europe - did anyone save the details?

Caroline