SC - Subing????

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu May 28 20:36:31 PDT 1998

Coleworts is a linguistic variation of collards, Brassica oleracea var.
acephala (this variation covers all of the headless cabbages such as
collards, kale, kohlrabi, etc.).  Collards and kale are about the closest
cabbages to the sea kale (Crambe maratima) which is believed to be ancestor
of all modern cabbages.

Sea kale is still grown, so if you really want to go into a breeding
project, you might want to get some and breed for the variant you desire.

BTW, most of the Brassicas are not hybrids but variants, being all the same
species (oleracea) but having been selectively bred for specific traits.
Hybrids are generally created by inter-species crossbreeding.

Bear