Alcohol bafflement [was SC - whats an inn?]

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri May 29 09:56:04 PDT 1998

>> > 2.  Do you have evidence for the use of tomatoes in Middle Eastern
>> cooking
>> > before 1600?
>> >>>
>> > David/Cariadoc
>> > http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

Hello!  There is this from Gerard (originally published 1597, I'm using the
1633 edition, p. 346) describing the 'Apples of Love' (Lycopersicum):

"In Spaine and those hot Regions they vse to eat the Apples prepared and
boiled with pepper, salt, and oile:  but they yeeld very little nourishment
to the bodie, and the same nought and corrupt.
Likewise they doe eat the Apples with oile, vineger and pepper mixed
together for sauce to their meat, euen as we in these cold Countries doe
Mustard."

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net