Alcohol bafflement [was SC - whats an inn?]

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sun May 31 23:51:21 PDT 1998

I'm new to the SCA-cooks group.  (Hi from Texas)
I'm a former SCA member (gasp!) who still has an interest in period
cooking,and I'm trying to research for stories.  Would like some help.  Is
there a good reference work for judging cheeses, making cheeses, etc. that is
period for around 1650?

And one more thing--I know it's not completely period, but are there any
"period" chocolate recipes?
- -------

Try these files in the FOOD section of my Stefan's Florilegium:

cheese-msg        (58K) 11/ 3/97    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat Novice" by
                                       Lady Aoife Finn.
chocolate-msg     (32K)  7/15/97    History and description of early chocolate.

I'm not sure that you will like the period (still some questions on that) or
even the near-period chocolate recipes. They are a long way from a Hershey
bar.

My files can be found on the web at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous