SC - Definition needed: primary, secondary, tertiary sources ??

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat May 2 23:33:17 PDT 1998

David/Cariadoc said:

>>What if the recipe was middle eastern but written by an Englishman?

>A primary source for what Englishman of the time thought middle eastern
>cooking was like, but a secondary source for what middle eastern cooking
>was really like. Three real examples:

>_Epulario_ is a 16th c. English translation of an Italian cookbook,
>probably 15th c. In that case we can compare to two Italian cookbooks which
>are very closely related to the source.

>_Manuscrito Anonimo_ has a recipe described as (I think) slavic.

>There is a "Moorish Chicken" in a period Portuguese cookbook--with bacon as
>one ingredient!

You've mentioned this last one before and I still think it is interesting/revealing.
I'm surprised though that this happened in a Portuguese cookbook. I would have
thought there knowledge of the nearby culture would have been better. How sure
are we that it really is bacon/pig that is mentioned?

Are there any similar examples that come out when comparing the _Epulario_
and the two Italian cookbooks? What does the English translation do about
foods that are available in Italy but not England? Are these recipes just
omitted? Or do you see food substitutions that appear to be due to this?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net