SC - Allergy rant - was garlic in British Isles

Jane Waks waks at world.std.com
Fri May 8 07:09:54 PDT 1998

>I have one last question, just out of curiosity: what's the percentage
>of people who will personally comment on the allergies they actually
>have, as opposed to those of friends, or friends of friends?

Very true.....

I am not allergic to any foods (that I have ever consumed; things
I've never tried I don't know about).

The person I always have to "cook around" is the seneschale of
my Barony, who is allergic to grapes and their products, and
nuts.  As in, no wine, no wine vinegar, no almond milk, no raisins.
I usually end up making a plain roast for her in one corner
of the oven.  The worst pain is to have to use white distilled
vinegar or cider vinegar instead of a tasty red-wine or balsamic.

I had somebody come to my kitchen while we were dishing up the
feast once, and ask "Are there any mushrooms in the feast, and
what do they look like?"  I burst out laughing, and said, yes,
there are mushrooms garnishing the salad, and they look like
sliced mushrooms.  (I know what he really meant, which was, had
I put any in the stewed beef; I had not.)

Caitlin Davies
(Carolingia)