SV: SC - peach mead?

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Fri May 8 07:53:18 PDT 1998

What size is the maturing in ? 1
year ?  How does the vanilla taste come out ?
As a primary taste or does it blend nicely with other herbs ?
Brokk.

Well, I always make a 5 gallon batch, that being the size of my fermenter. I
put the bean split in half lengthwise to expose the seeds in the cooled
wort. In that small amount, vanilla acts as an enhancer rather than a
flavoring-just what I want it for. As yet I have not had any problem with
anything growing as a result of not sterilizing them-vanilla is VERY
temperature sensitive, and boiling will destroy much of the flavor. I don't
tend to use the extract in cordialmaking as it has a very harsh edge to the
flavor, and will sometimes make vanilla honey for cooking with by sticking a
pod into a jar of honey and letting it sit in the cupboard for a month or
so. If I know ahead of time I am going to do a lot of cookie frosting, I
stick a pod into my jar of confectioners sugar.

As I tend to age longer than a year[so far my average is 18-24 months] I
will say that the flavor enhancement aspect of vanilla use is an advantage,
especially if you are using a delicate floral honey.

amrgali