SC - Allergy rant - was garlic in British Isles

CorwynWdwd CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sat May 9 02:42:57 PDT 1998

> I don't list out all my ingredients, I am too busy cooking with them to
>  be spending all day typing them out; and besides, it may be that I have
>  some secret blend of herbs and spices I don't want to share!  (ask
>  anyone who has had my hedgehogs whether I will reveal all their
>  ingredients)

While I understand your wanting to keep your creations your property, and I
have no allergies (or even dislikes) that would preclude me eating your feasts
(at least because of spice mixtures) I really must say I strongly disagree
with the general idea behind the above statement, for several reasons.

1. There are those of us, being cooks ourselves, who wish to take personal
responsibility for our health. You make either this essentially impossible, or
make it impossible for those WITH specific allergies enjoy your hard won
creations.

2. Any experenced cook will tell you, even if you listed quantities, which
would not be required in an  ingredient listing, the chances of somebody being
able to duplicate your efforts are essentially nil. In fifteen years of
teaching meading, I have exactly one student that got it RIGHT by my
standards. Perhaps I am just a poor teacher, or perhaps one's soul must be
pure... naaahhhh... Maybe it's just chemistry.

3. I believe one of the primary duties of all SCAdians is education. Inquiring
minds are common in an SCA context.

I've said my say. There are things I am allergic to, and things I actually
despise. I know the difference... and I watch out for them. A complete listing
would be a real help for me and others.

Thanks for listening.

Corwyn.