SC - Re: allergies & chivilry

Louis Stull lstull at earthlink.net
Sat May 9 13:37:31 PDT 1998

I do not believe that anyone is expecting you to seriously bend over backward
for this.
What I think the common issues are:

1) Feasts with too little variety so that people with allergies can not eat
different items because there aren't any.

2) General Ingredient lists.  That is if you change how something is prepared at
the last minute to make it edible this is OK.  But the menu and what is in it
should be available - in advance either published or by request.

3) Dishes should not be changed to have know problem foods added.  Some things
people are highly allergic to or are on religious lists of foods that are
officially inedible should not be added to a dish at the last minute.  For
example adding bacon to a beef dish at the last minute means that all jews and
muslims shouldn't eat it.  Adding chicken broth to a vegetable soup would mean
that hindus shouldn't eat it.  There are some common spice allergies that work
the same way.