SC - Allergies

Jessica Tiffin melesine at ilink.nis.za
Sun May 10 03:22:05 PDT 1998

Greetings, all.

Emerging briefly from lurk mode to say that I've been following the
allergies thread with complete fascination - not because I hold strong
opinions about ingredient listing, but because the whole thing is so alien.
The apparent proportion of people in your groups who suffer from dangerously
extreme allergies seems to be way, way in excess of anything I've ever come
across.  Is this because Americans have more allergies than South Africans?
Do SCA types have more allergies than the general population??  The most we
have had to worry about in cooking for events in Cape Town is the vegetarian
members of the Shire - I don't think anyone has ever spoken to the cooks
with an allergy request.  Is this an advantage to a partially third-world
country with a less processed lifestyle, perhaps?  I'd be interested in an
estimate as to what percentage of members do seem to have allergy problems
in your experience - and also in comparative experiences from Australia, etc.

Curious,

Melisant
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa

Jessica Tiffin
melesine at ilink.nis.za  *  jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za