SC - rice as meat filler

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun May 10 22:05:35 PDT 1998

 >It takes three to four cups of water to cook one cup of rice.  Most
>meat dishes will not put out that kind of liquid.  So if you are using
rice
>for a filler in a meat dish, it is usually recommended to pre-cook the
rice.
>Bear
 While I agree with your overall statement, I just have to ask, are you
boiling your rice and then draining it?  Every pot of rice I have ever
cooked took 2 - 2 1/2 times the amount of water to rice, except methods
where the rice is cooked in the water, then strained. (I think I heard
once that this was a 'Northern' way to cook rice, but that's not how we
did it when I lived in Michigan, or how my family from Indiana or Ontario
did it.  Just wondering.  (Granted, it needs to be cooked rice for
filler.)

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies