SC - Cheesecakes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon May 11 15:24:56 PDT 1998

Joshua mentioned an Anglo-Norman recipe and Allison asked:

>I'm not familiar with "Tardpoleyn".  What language is it in, and where is
>it located, or reprinted? And what year(s), please?

The source is Two Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections Edited from Brotosh
Library Manuscripts Additional 32085 and Royal 12.C.xii. by Constance B.
Hieatt and Robin F. Jones, Speculum 61/4 (1986), pp. 859-882.  The language
is French and it is 13th c.  Here is their translation of the recipe:

Here is another dish, which is called tardpolene.  Take and combine flour
and sugar, and mix into pastry with almond milk; make cases of this pastry
two fingers in height; then take pears, dates, almonds, figs, and raisins,
and put in liquid and spices and grind together; add egg yolk and a piece
of good, soft, cheese, not too old, and plenty of whole eggs; then put them
to cook; brush the tops with egg yolk; then serve.

They comment that the "them" in "then put them to cook" means "the pastry
cases filled with the above mixture".

Elizabeth/Betty Cook