SC - Allergy Discussion

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at phd.com
Tue May 12 08:58:50 PDT 1998

On Tuesday, May 12, 1998 6:43 AM, Jessica Tiffin
[SMTP:melesine at ilink.nis.za] wrote:

> Somethingorother I once read referred to the difference between food
> allergies and food aversions - an aversion is a strong enough dislike
that
> it does actually cause uncontrollable/reflex metabolic responses, but
it's
> not the same immune mechanism that causes an allergy.
<SNIPPO>
> I wish I could find the article, I can't
> remember the precise bodily mechanisms that cause an aversion, but
it's
> slightly more than psycho-somatic, I think.
>
> Melisant

Right ON!!!
I have a similar problem with most cooked fish. It causes a severe
"fight or flight" reaction, and, if severe enough, I start puking.
Strange thing is that it is the SMELL that causes the problem.  I can
eat sushi just fine. Go figure.
I think bit down on a trout bone at age 3 or so. My parents can't really
recall. My psychiatrist thinks that some similar incident is likely.

It is not an allergy, but it is a severe reaction to a food item.
It is not a "Just all in your head, so just get over it" kind of thing.
It is as deeply rooted in my brain as an allergy is in my blood.
It keeps me from being able to eat a food just as efficiently as a
"regular" allergy.
It is as much a cross for me to bear living in New England as an allergy
to corn would be in the American Southwest.
I do not think it is "nonsense".

Brandu