SC - Marchpane Revisited

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu May 14 02:14:01 PDT 1998

Hello list,

There are certainly references to 14th centure recipies for marchpanes, but
I just cannot find the example I know I have (somewhere). By way of cross
reference, the Time Life Good Cooks series (wonderful books) gives a range
of recipies in the Confectionary volume. It is remarkable how similar the
recipies from Persia, Germany, France, Italy, etc really are and how little
they have changed over the centuries!

Elinor Fettiplace gives A Receit to Make a Marchpane (1604):

Take a pound & a half of almonds, blanch them & bruise them in a martar by
themselves, then take a pound & a half of sugar & pound it smal, search out
as much of it as you think will servie to ice your marchpanee, & to mould it
up in, Take the rest of your sugar & mingle it with your almonds, & beat
them in a morter till they come to paste, not putting too much at once in
your morter for fear of oyling, you must have gum dragon steep it in rose
water all night, & in your pownding put some of your gumdragon upon your
pestills end, when you have pounded it all mould it upon a bottome made with
marchpane bread, make your conceits as you think fit, set your marchpane in
the oven not being too hot, & when it is reasonable well hardened take it
out & ice it, & set on your conceits, then put it in the oven againe, untill
yor iceing bee hardned, then take it out, & stick on your comfits, & when it
is cold gild it, your iceing is made with nothing but rosewater & sugar
beaten together, it must bee somewhat thick, I think some 3 greate
spoonfulls of sugar will serve for the iceing of it.

I hope I can find my earlier recipie and will post it if I do.

Rowan
Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia