SC - food at re-enactment group

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Fri May 15 01:56:49 PDT 1998

	Stefan asked some questions:

> Caroline said:
>
> >*just to explain, given that I'm not prepared to get up at dawn and we
> want
> >to show cooking to the general public, we usually have the following:
>
> >Breakfast       8 - 9   cooked - bacon, eggs, sausages, bread (tea and
> >                        coffee - it is out of public hours)
> >Mid-day         12 - 1  cold meat, cheese, bread, maybe sod eggs or
> fritters

	Short for sodden eggs (and because it amuses the public*) - boiled
eggs, sometimes with mustard sauce, sometimes stuffed.

> >Dinner          4 - 5   main meal, pottage, roast meats, civey, worts,
> >                        salad, sweet dishes

	Civey or stew - ie a meat pottage of some kind.  Worts or pot-herbs
- - vegetables of some kind.  As far as I can tell the term 'vegetable' wasn't
used in period, but these were.

	Caroline

	* it may not be the case in the States, but in the UK 'sod' is a
fairly mild swear word