SC - Comments on Thorkatla...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 15 10:59:20 PDT 1998

Hullo, the list, from G. Tacitus Adamantius!

I've been asked to forward a response to this list from Baroness
Katherine Gilliesfleur, who receives her posts rather irregularly, but
would like to respond to a previous post. Please understand that I claim
no great skill as a costumer or costume researcher, and that subsequent
in addition to posting on this list. Mistress Katherine's post follows
my signature.

Thanks!

Adamantius

> Unto all Members of the Order of the Laurel who read these words, from Mistress
> Katherine Gilliesfleur, Greetings!

>Thorkatla Herjolfsdottir, I have two points to discuss.
>
> 1. There is nothing intrinsically "ludicrous" (Mistress Thora's word, not mine) about
> Thorkatla's reference to _scissors_ on page 6 of her Greenland handout. It only
> becomes ludicrous when Thora herself substitutes the word _shears_ for _scissors_.
> In modern usage we tend to use the word shears and scissors interchangably, with
> shears generally referring to large, heavy scissors. However, in the discussions of the
> technological changes that surround the great fashion shift of the 14th Century, the
> words have very distinct meanings. Shears are essentially two blades joined by a loop
> hinge; scissors are two blades twisted and joined at a pivot point. The late 13th - early
> 14th century is indeed the period in which scissors not only came into common usage
> in Europe, but eventually overtook shears in precision activities like tailoring. My
> primary reference here is "Knives and Scabbards -- Medieval Finds from Excavations
> in London: 1" by J. Cowgill, M. deNeergaard and N. Griffiths, H.M.S.O., London,
> 1987.
>
> 2. I'm not sure what Mistress Thora means by "lack of textile context" in Thorkatla's
> work. I find Thorkatla's instinctive understanding of fabrics almost unequalled. She
> has a marvellous hand for fabric, and an excellent eye for drape and balance. Her grasp
> of the "3-dimensionality" of the costumer's art makes it possible for her to see and
> correct problems of fit and flow in a garment under construction -- vital while doing
> projects such as the Greenland gowns, which were individually crafted to the wearer.
> Her knowledge of the construction and decorative techniques of her period has been
> proven over and over.
>
> In short, she is a very medieval craftsman, and, I believe, a master of her craft. I
> fervently hope there is still room for such as she in the Order of the Laurel.
>
> Mistress Thorkatla Herjolfsdotttir, then known as Lady Octavia Rosa di Bari, was my
> apprentice until she was raised to the peerage in the Order of the Pelican, at which point
> we both believed a master/apprentice relationship was inappropriate. However, I
> continue to act as her mentor in matters of concern to the Order of the Laurel, so feel
> free to contact me in areas concerned with her work.
>
> I can receive e-mail at dkrevor at hotmail.com or can be reached by phone at (718) 767-> 0757.
>
> My thanks to you for your kind attention, and to Master Adamantius for posting this
> for me.

- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com