SC - Subing????

Freyja33 at aol.com Freyja33 at aol.com
Thu May 28 10:44:31 PDT 1998

Greetings all...
I am doing my first A&S comp. at Lillie's war and wanting to cook Deer Stew.
Here is my problem....  I am finding it very hard to get a period recipe for
Deer Stew...  I have one and am not sure it is period....  This is what it
calls for....

Approx. 5lb.reindeer                         flour (doesn't say what kind)
butter                                            Juniper berries (now can I
sub pine nuts here)
salt                                                goat cheese (optional)
boiling water                                    Veg of choice
boiling milk

By chance does someone have a period recipe for Deer Stew/Roast and would
share I have done all the back ground as to who would have eaten it when it
would have been served Why it was eaten....  Just lakeing on a good recipe I
would like to make this at Lillie's war and cook it as it was cooked in days
of old....

For home use we do a simple one...
Deer cut in cubes browned in onions until dark brown.
Add Water deglaze the pan add more onions, carrots, peas, green beens, garlic,
for spices we use sage,pepper,salt and to thicken bread crumbs....
I like to keep cooking at home simple too..... By browning it in onions you
get all the gamy taste out.... Or at least it helps..LOL
Thank you for all your help....