SC - Non-Period??

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun May 3 11:34:10 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Phillipa says:

> << beef stew with carrots and turnips
>  >  >>
> What is wrong (medievally speaking) with stewed beef with ground
vegetables?
> Surely this is such a simple, ubiquitous dish, that it was made on meat
eating
> days.

Wrong? nothings "wrong" with it. Remember though that I tend to consider
something medieval only when I can find a corresponding recipe in the
medieval (or in this case, pre 1700) corpus.

Taillevent says that pottages of vegetabels were such ordinary fare that
every woman knew how to make them and so he doesnt address them. But
there's not a single recipe before this one from Digby (there may be one in
 Robert May, but definately not one in the standard medieval Anglo-French
corpus) that is a mixture of meat and veggies like we would make stew. MEat
and onions, sure. meat with herbs, you bet. But nothing like mommies beef
stew.

Maybe it has something to do with the humors, maybe the idea just didnt
occur to them, maybe it was considered such a base food (like a peanut
butter and jelly sandwhich) that no one bothered to write it down. In any
case, from my perspective, if it wasnt written down, its not period in my
book.

Now I realize that there's lots of other books out there, and thats
fine...this is just the way I choose to do my medieval re-enactment.

- --AM