SC - autumn feast report (long) or Fennel/Quinces

Sharon Nevin nevray at netspace.net.au
Mon May 4 02:24:12 PDT 1998

Oh dear. I thought reading my email might provide a nice recovery from St
Mons 10th Anniversary
feast and I keep getting reminded of various dishes.

On the 3rd of May MinnaGantz asked for recipes documentation etc for feenel
as a vegie. I thought I might point out that in the feast report was a
recipe for broccoli and fennel.

> We followed that with Broccoli and Fennel.  I can't remember the original
> source of this, but the redaction was from "The Original Mediterranean
> Cuisine".  I actually followed the original rather than the redaction -
the
> redaction involved steaming the veges, which made for a fairly bland
> result.  The original had them boiled in stock, which was much tastier.
> used vegetarian chicken stock, which meant that the dish was still
> vegetarian safe.  18 bulbs of Fennel, and 5kg of broccoli, are certainly
> entertaining to boil!

And not too mention Quinces

> The second course opened with Lamb with Quinces.  I again can't remember
> the source, but the redaction was from "The Original Mediterranean
Cuisine"
> (with some modifications - I halved the vinegar used, as my test version
> was *very* tart...)
<snip>

And

> The only other dish I had planned was a plate of quince sweets
> ("Condoignac") for high table. The recipe was from "Le Menagier de
Paris",
> as redacted in "Early French Cooking".

I might also point out that i had only been in the SCA barely six months
when I decided to run this feast. I have now been in the SCA barely 14
months. We had 73 people turn up which was maximum number. Apart from the
problem of trying to garb a lot of newbies it went well. We have a couple
more new enthusiasts (spelling?).

Sharon Nevin
Seneschal of the College of St Monica
(who was trying not to fall asleep in her lectures this morning and failed
miserably)