SC - period food turns people away?

Varju Varju at aol.com
Tue May 5 08:18:55 PDT 1998

Having read a number of varying opinions on the topic here are a few of my
thoughts on the topic.

I'm not sure if down playing authenticity to get people to join is the right
way to go.  Also, I don't think its fair to underestimate friends or family
who are interested.  My husband is a self proclaimed "high tech redneck" (born
in a small town in Wyoming, spent all of his life there) who will gamely try
far more "unusual" foods than I ever will,  and I'm the one who grew up in a
more "cultured" atmosphere.

There is also another factor here, which is that some of us enjoy cooking
feasts, but don't do period feasts.  Why?  Well, for me it is simply because
cooking is one of many interests.  Currently I'm focused on those other
interests, along with working full time with an odd schedule (3pm to midnight)
and trying to have a normal relationship with my husband.  For  me there is
also a certain level of frustration associated with doing period cooking.

My frustration stems from the fact that my interest is in areas where we have
in some cases just enough information about period cooking to pique an
interest, but not enough to make a feast from.  And while there are some close
to period sources availible, there is always the problem of language and the
time needed for translation.  It leaves me where I'm always torn between being
true to my persona and doing more period cooking.  So far, I have chosen to be
true to my persona. Is it a bad choice?  I'm not sure, but i know it is MY
choice to focus on my studies of what is period for me in clothing, embroidery
and leatherwork at this time.

In the end I think it is important to not comprosise your principles, just to
entice in new members, but it is also important to remember that all of us
follow this dream in our own way and that should be respected.  And we should
all be willing to try something different in the name of learning more.

Fekete Hollo Noemi Asszoncs