SC - re:period recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue May 5 10:21:04 PDT 1998

At 4:59 PM +1000 5/5/98, Robyn Probert wrote:

>Claudia Roden's "A New Book of Middle Eastern Food" makes reference to
>quinces being used in Al Bahgdadi's recipies but does not give an example.
>Perhaps Cariadoc can supply details... Incidentally, this is an excellent
>book containing many wonderful period recipies all of which taste fabulous
>(but then I love this type of food).

Claudia Roden is how I first discovered al-Baghdadi. A few years back I got
a letter from her saying that she understood I had Charles Perry's
translation of the Andalusian cookbook for sale and wanted to buy a copy. I
sent her a free copy of volume II, with a thankyou note for getting me into
medieval Islamic cooking.

Quince is used lots in Islamic cooking--there are two (similar) examples in
the Miscellany.

>Beef Stew (no carrots though)
>Beef y-stewed (TFCC)

Stewed beef with chopped onions, herbs and spices--which is not what modern
Americans mean by beef stew. Not only no carrots but no parsnips, turnips,
....  .

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University