SC - Cooking Wine

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Thu May 7 19:08:12 PDT 1998

Ras writes:
> One should never cook with anything that they would not drink.

Which pretty much rules out wine, beer, and liquor for me -- not that
I WILL NOT drink them, but I've never seen any point in it. :-)

> One of my main irritations as a liquor store employee
> is a customer who comes in and asks for a "cooking" wine....
> ....  If a
> cook is willing to use a four dollar generic Burgundy in a recipe that calls
> for "claret" instead of a far superior Bordeaux or Beaujolais, it would be a
> kindness for their guests if they ordered in pizza instead.

I've heard this opinion expressed before.  Can you offer any helpful
suggestions for those of us who really like to cook, but are utterly
ignorant of wine and honestly could not tell the difference between
"a four dollar generic Burgundy" and a "far superior Bordeaux or
Beaujolais"?

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu