SC - pulentium

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Thu May 7 19:33:20 PDT 1998

margali wrote:
> ... I do have a recipe for a chickpea puree based bread that is
> purported to be at least 180 years old...not in period but tasty if you
> like chick peas!

Here's one from 13th-century Andalusia.  I'm not sure whose translation
this is... might be mine....

"False" Isfiriyya (made from chick peas)

Mash some chick peas, take their shell out, and grind them into flour,
which you then put into a bowl with a bit of yeast and some egg, and
knead it together with its aromatic seasonings until it's thoroughly
mixed.  Fry it (as in the previous recipe) making it into thin cakes,
and make a sauce for them.

For comparison, here's the "previous recipe":

Simple Isfiriyya

Break however many eggs you like into a big pot and add some crumbled
yeast, in proportion to the number of eggs you have, and also some
pepper, coriander, saffron, cumin, and cinnamon.  Beat it all together,
and put it in a frying pan with oil over a moderate fire and make a
thin cake out of it, as described previously.

The recipe before THIS one calls for finely chopped meat mixed in;
roughly the same spices, and no further detailed instructions.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/