SC - re: allergy rantlet

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri May 8 18:51:05 PDT 1998

Adamantius asks how many of us have *real* allergies...

I tell folks that I'm allergic to pork.  Not entirely true; I can eat pork *flesh* but I cannot eat pork *fat.*  It's not an allergy; it's completely
psychosomatic and I know it.  But the smell of pork fat cooking, most
particularly in the form of frying bacon, makes me "do the technicolor
yawn" almost instantly.

Is it an allergy?  Dunno.  Is it real?  Is to me.  But it's my problem, not a feastocrat's or restaurant chef's or anyone else's...

My hubby can't eat walnuts, btw; the oil makes his face swell up.  He's OK with limited quantities of other nuts.

I agree, however, that far too many people use the word "allergy" as a polite euphemism for "I'm really picky."

On the "nailed by an unnanounced allergy" tack; I heard (thirdhand and well after the fact) that one of the ladies at high table at one of my
recent feasts had a mild reaction to the almonds in one of the dishes I made with almond milk.

She was, however, extremely gracious about it, accepted full responsibility and didn't even mention it to me.  I was very impressed
by that:  she realized that it was HER responsibility to have read the "Allergy Sheet" tacked to the kitchen door; and since she didn't make
time to do that, she caused her own problem.

(Besides which, the site tokens/feast handouts had the period recipe for every dish printed in them.)

Just my US$.02....

	- kat