SC - Allergy rant -once again

Seton1355 Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri May 8 22:24:32 PDT 1998

In a message dated 5/8/98 11:35:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kiriel at cybergal.com writes:

<<  It seems common courtesy to inform the cooks of your allergy >>

After reading several posts about allergies, I really feel moved to add my 2
cents worth!
I have severe problems with certain foods.  I have dutifully contacted the
feastocrats WEEKS before an event.  In one case I called, long distance, no
less,  the person listed as the person to contact with special dietary
requests.  I was told that he had no information, kindly call this other
person. (why wasn't this other person listed?) I had to call this other person
3 times (long distance) just to be told (finally) that I should just not
bother eating at events.  I still was not told what the menu was.

Another time I emailed the featocrat twice, & called once and never got any
response.

On the plus side, both Lady Aoife Finn and Lady Rowan of Ashbrook  were so
very kind to make me very generous portions of chicken separate from the
chicken I could not eat. (2 separate events)  (thank you! thank you!)

I'm truly sorry that some cooks get annoyed at special requests.  I really do
know how much work goes into the cooking of a feast, and special requests only
add to the work load.  But some of us really do get very, very ill when we eat
things that our bodies cannot tolerate.  I applaud the chivalrous efforts of
those cooks who have taken the extra  effort to help make feasts for people
like me a pleasurable experience.  Vivat!
Phillipa Seton