SC - Allergic and not ranting

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Sat May 9 11:20:58 PDT 1998

Addressing the issue of money spent for a feast you can't eat, as I said I
have yet to run into a feast where I couldn't eat something.  I have run
into
some where I couldn't eat some things, and there were somethings I just
plain
didn't like, but NEVER where I couldn't eat anything.  Besides, part of the
enjoyment of a banquet is the company, entertainment, and conversation that
goes with it.  And I have never felt cheated by attending a banquet where I
ate a few of the items offered, because I enjoyed myself so immensely.

Bon Apetit!

Sigrid Pigwoman
aka Madeleine de la Chatte Enfumee

Puts me in mund of the fast a few years ago at Cairo in Carillon-
Shiskebobs of beef and mushrooms[I knew about them and figured I could eat
pretty much everything else]
tebbouleh made with not enough plain water-dry and grainy, no attempt to put
any oil or fresh chopped anything., nor even dried herbs.
a mess of tomatos, lentils, goat cheese, and onions, cooked and served cold.
a salad of goat cheese, garbanzo beans and lettuice.
a mixed plate of [you guessed it] goat cheese, oil soaked black olives,
dates, an orange and an apple and a banana.[per table of 8]
dry cinnamon rasin bread, dry white bread, 8 pitas and 1 measured cup of
hummus.

I knew in advance about the shrooms on the kebobs, I figured after hearing
the other dishes that I would be able to graze on everything else. No
mention was made of goat cheese. They got a great deal on goat cheese just
before coming to the site the night before to start cooking.
I HATE goat cheese, top me it smells andf tastes like goat urine. I have
tried 8 or 9 types of goat cheese. They all are personally disgusting to me.
I have milked my sheep and made cheese[when I still had sheep] and had
commercially available sheep, buffalo and horse milk cheeses before[hated
the horse and buffalo, liked the sheep homemade better than storebought] so
I am not afraid to try things out. They did not have any dishes you could
just pick out the cheese and not still taste the cheese. I was left with
grazing on the donated from other tables hummus and pita, the dry breads and
assorted fruit. everybody at my table gave me the 3 pieces of fruit[it is
better than seeing me technicolor yawn goat byproduct flavored everything
else]
I also paid 15 dollars american for the privelege of sitting on the floor
eating the above famine. If the people around hadn't come to our rescue, I
would have gone away hungry- 1 piece of pita, a tbsp of hummus, 1 apple, 1
orange, 1 banana and 7 dates with dry bread does not a happy feaster make. I
will admit, I have a dislike to goat cheese, but I can't eat it, it was
never mentioned until we saw the food come out on site, and the cooks never
made provision for somebody who couldn't eat the goat cheese.[and it would
have helped if the tabouleh had been made correctly-almost every tble sent
it back untouched.]
margali