SC - Re: sca-flavor substitutes

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun May 10 09:12:07 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie...
Ras says:
> <Sigh> The amounts of the 'bad' chemicals available from the plants when
used
> in seasoning quantities are insignificant and cannot do harm.  Rue is a
> somewhat bitter herb which has a bouquet and flavor which cannot be
imitated
> by substitute ingredients.  If you are not pregnant, then there is no
concern
> to be had in the first place. Beets contain cyanide; celery contains
> diuretics; 1 cp. of appleseeds can kill a small child when consumed at
one
> time; lavender, chamomile; and valerian contain powerful tranquilizing
> chemicals; rhubarb contains oxalic acid; ad nauseum.  If we were to avoid
all
> the foods that contain potentially dangerous chemicals, we would most
> certainly starve. :-0 It is the concentration that counts not the mere
> presence of a potentially harmful substance.

For the record, I'm less concerned about aborting fetuses than I am
potentially messing with the effectiveness of oral contraceptives. Not
knowing exactly the chemicals in rue, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I dont
knowingly ingest ginsing either (estrogen like compound...dont know what it
does to prostoglandin levels).

- --Anne-Marie, who knows only enough endocrinology to be dangerous.