SC - Room temp food-OOP

Tue May 12 07:29:58 PDT 1998

> 	Having said the above, I agree in principle, and think its
> particularly pertinant that chilli peppers mimic the action of heat on the
> mouth.  However, I am puzzled by fritters, which are a common recipe - and
> are much better (to my mind) hot, and surely impossible to cook in period
> circumstances for the 100s who would dine at any one time.  How did they
> manage - or were they only cooked in small quantities as a 'treat' and
> served privily to the family and important visitors?  Any thoughts?
>

> 	Caroline

Nothing says that all of the tables were served precisely the same dishes at
the same time.  Where a dish could be produced in quantity, I would expect
it to be presented to the high table then served to all.  Where a dish could
be produced in quantity, but only over time, I would expect it to be served,
but in order of rank.  Where a dish could be produced in limited quantity, I
would expect it to be made for the family, or if for a feast, be presented
as a mark of distinction or favor.

Bear