SC - Re: rue and its properties.

Ceridwen ceridwen at commnections.com
Tue May 12 13:06:43 PDT 1998

sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:

> Hi all from Anne-Marie
> re: rue and its properties...
> does anyone out there know HOW it works? Until I know, I'm assuming
> that
> any abortificant has the possibility of messing with hormonal
> balances, and
> as someone who relies on chemically derived estrogen levels (ie birth
> control pills) I am hesitant to ingest anything that might affect
> their
> effectivness.
> Same reason I avoid ginsing (looks like estrogen to some bodies).

Quote from "the New Age Herbalist", a really, really good modern herbal,
don't let the title scare you off.
"ruta graveolens, Rue, Herb of Grace,
Parts used ; aerial parts
Constituents ; volatile oil (containing up to 90% methylnonylketone,
also limonene, cineole, etc.) several alkaloids including fagarine and
arborinine, coumarins (bargapten,xanthotoxin, psoralen)
Main uses : *medical* strains and sprains. Absent periods (professional
use only)
Rue is a powerful remedy and low doses are the rule. It has a special
place in the treatment of strained eyes and headaches caused by
eyestrain. It is also useful for nervous headaches and heart
palpitations. The anispasmodic action of its oil and alkaloids explain
its use in treating nervous indigestion and colic. The tea also expels
worms. Its alkaloids, arborinine and fagarine as well as the oil and
coumarins all stimulate the uterus and because of this rue strongly
promotes menstruation. The rutin strengthens fragile blood vessels and
varicose veins. An ointment containing rue is good for gouty, rheumatic
pains and for sprained or bruised tendons as well as chillblains. In
Chinese medicine rue is specific for snake and insect bites.
Caution : Not to be used in pregnancy. The coumarins may cause
photosensitivity and skin contact can cause a rash. Large doses may be
poisonous."

Hope this helps... seems to me there is no hormonal effect, but
muscular. I will not use this herb internally unless prescribed by a
licensed homeopathic physician. Externally, it's great for fighter
bruises and strains (infused in  an oil base )
Ceridwen