SC - vegatarian dishes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue May 12 23:54:25 PDT 1998

Lday Marged mentioned:

>One general rule I follow that has not been mentioned here regards menu
>planning. My side dishes are planned so that vegetarians and vegans can
>enjoy a full plate at any feast I run. This is a little tougher for
>vegan dishes, but certainly not impossible.

>I have much to learn from this list on period foods and their uses.

Welcome to this list!

The issue of allergies and vegetarin foods has been discussed several
times since this list started. Actually, I think the general consenus
on cooking for most vegetarians was that it wasn't that difficult as
it was a common medieval practice during fast days. Many medieval
recipes are available in versions for both meat and meatless days.
However, some modern vegatarians do seem to take it further than the
usual medieval meatless restrictions.

For some vegatarian recipes, you might be interested in looking at
this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:

vegetarian-msg    (43K)  3/30/98    Medieval vegetarianism. Lenten foods.

My files are available at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net