SV: SC - Alcohol intolerance

Brokk H940114 at stud.kol.su.se
Wed May 13 08:55:01 PDT 1998

	uuuummhh...?
	Evaporates out of the wine ?
	I wonder if this stems from the fact that 95% alcohol solutions
will evaporate if it's spilled on your skin,
	although not as rapid as acetone though.  When in an aqueous
solution such as wine there'll be
	hydrogen bonds between the ethanol and water molecules, so it
won't just evaporate out of the solution.
	Stronger drinks such as whisky or vodka will attract water
vapour from the air due to the hydroscopic property of ethanol,
	much like sulphuric acid will do.  In a day or 2 a small amount
in a glass will become diluted along with the effects of oxidization, so
the % of alcohol will lessen, although not from evaporation as a main
contributor.
	Speaking as a chemist i'd say that this is surely a myth.

	Sure some alcohol will boil off when you heat something like
mulled wine
	since alcohol boils at 78 C, but i think it'll take quite some
time to boil it all away.
	In a stew that boil for an hour and a half, sure, (almost)
everything will boil away,
	but not in mulled wine.

	Please note!  One can never be absolutely sure as to how much
alcohol has boiled away,
	and with some of the severe allergies described by some ppl on
this list I'd play it safe and avoid it
	completely.  There are substitutes for wine for use in cooking,
if they have an alcohol