SC - German potato salad dressing

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu May 14 18:16:25 PDT 1998

> << This is how my German grandmother taught me to make spinach salad... She's not Pennsylvania Dutch, >>
>
> "Pennsylvania Dutch" is a term applied to the GERMAN settlers that came to the
> US and settled in PA.

Yes, I know.  I was qualifying her Germanness in relation to them.  I beleive
they came along fairly early in US. history, perhaps even colonial times?  My
great grandparents came to the U.S. after the American Civil War, to a
Catholic/German community in Tennessee. So, the vinegary dressing may be
earlier (a traditional german recipe) or later (Grandma coulda got it from
Better Homes and Gardens!) but it isn't unique to the PA Dutch. (The post I
was responding called it a modern recipe of theirs.)