SC - Beef redaction-An opinion

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Sun May 17 17:47:00 PDT 1998

At 11:06 PM 16/05/98 EDT, Beatrix, Ras and Minna wrote:
><<Chop up the brisket and add back to the water. (is there any real reason I
>can't just cut up the beef before hand?)  -Beatrix>>
>
><< The original seething was for rybbes so I would suspect that after the
>first
> seething , the meat was picked from the bones and then added back to the pot.
> The bones would add some flavor to the dish but I suspect that if you used
> boneless beef it would turn out just fine without preboiling.  - Ras >>
>
>If you cook the meat as a whole piece, then cut up, the resulting chunks of
>meat will retain more of their flavor-- rather than it going into the stew
>water.  This is the reason  modern recipes for stew often instruct one to sear
>the meat chunks before stewing them-- to keep in the juices.

Yes indeed and the texture will be slightly different too. For the same
reason, I would stick to the ribs :) rather than using boneless meat. Meat
cooked on the bone is more tender, juicier and dries out less than boneless
meat, even if it is more work.
I'd simmer rather than boil to retain texture.

I'm not sure where you got the red wine and extra onions from...

>let it be stylle; an whan it is nere y-now, caste the lycour ther-to,
>but

I believe the "liquor" referred to here is the liquid in the pot - the
cooking juices - rather than alcohol type liquor.

>nowt to moche, an than let boyle onys, an cast safroun ther-to a
>quantyte;
>than take salt an venegre, and cast ther-to, an loke that it be
>poynant
>y-now, a serue forth.

My reading was to bring the pot back to the boil (let it boil 'onys' = once)
rather than to add extra onions at this point! The saffron, salt and vinegar
are being added at the end to balance the flavours (until it is 'poiniant'
enough). This would give a different flavour than then cooking the saffron
in, as it has a very strong flavour (a very *good* strong flavour).

As Ras said - how was it? Now you could try it again against my version :)
Fun, yes? Experience counts for a lot in redacting, as well as a good sense
of taste and patience. If you haven't done it before, I think you have made
a great start...

Rowan
Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia