SC - blue laws

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Thu May 28 13:56:45 PDT 1998

Blue Laws refer to the puritan habit of abstaining from anything but church
and the required eating on Sundays. if you read about the Sabbath
observances, it would be enough o guarantee my desertion from the Plymouth
colony to Rhode Island! Sunup, go to church-do not pass go and do not
collect breakfast. By law you had to take your weapon in case of Indian
attack. Church ran until between 2 and 3 in the afternoon, when people would
break to go home for dinner, then there would be an evening session. Makes
me glad I am not my empty-scrunch great grandmother! [or at least wish i was
from the Nieu Amsterdam branch...lol]

Its translates out to a ban of varying degrees of sternness depending on the
decade and region of the country. When I was growing  up in western New York
in the 60's, it meant the only things open on Sunday were the churches and
some restaurants, some drug stores and sometimes a grocery store. No liquor
or beer sold, and sometimes that even leaked over to cigarettes. Nowadays,
it means that liqueur and beer aren't sold from 11 PM Saturday night[other
than at bars that is] and nothing at all Sunday. In the grocery stores they
close off the beer coolers and beer sections so you can't get to them.

Some areas the blue laws are such that there isn't dancing or drinking on
Sundays, and in "dry" areas there are no liqueur stores at all, you have to
bring the stuff in from outside[technically bootlegging] and some areas the
laws prohibit places from selling liqueur, but you can bring your own but
the place has to have a bartender dispense it for you-and they charge an arm
and a leg for the 'set-ups'[ice, mixers and garnishes]

margali